GAS PLUME 100-FT. IN AIR
ONEONTA – Neighbors in the vicinity of Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue, a half-block from Fox Hospital, are back in their homes after construction crews on the water-main replacement ruptured a primary natural gas line.
The 9:15 a.m. accident sent a plume of gas 100 feet into the air, according to eyewitness Michael Forster Rothbart. “I thought it was smoke,” he said. “It looked like the Red Door church was on fire.”
Oneonta Police and Fire Departments and NYSEG rushed to the scene, immediately shutting off the gas line, evacuating residents “two houses in” from Main Street” in a 10-block area, according to Mayor Gary Herzig.