Pit Bull ‘Stressed Out,’ But Safe
By JAMES CUMMINGS • Special to www.AllOTSEGO.com
MORRIS – Three days before the new decade begins, a second home in Morris was destroyed by fire in less than a week.
A possible electrical fire at 78 Broad St. in the village at 8:20 p.m. last night wreaked havoc on the home of Kelly Worman.
The first recent Morris fire was Dec. 23 at 287 West Hill Road. The downstairs was gutted and the house was pretty well destroyed, Mayor Michael Newell said a few minutes ago.
Chris Barry, 14, a friend of Kelly’s son, Brendyn, spotted the smoke from the nearby Mirabito’s parking lot.
“I saw the fire out of the corner of my eye and I thought, oh, that’s my best friend’s house,” he said. “My buddy JJ and I ran over and kicked the door in and rescued the dog.”
Worman’s 2-year-old pitbull was in a crate in the kitchen. “When we got the dog out of there, the fire hadn’t reached the kitchen. The dog was fine, but she was stressed out.”
Brendyn believes that the fire was caused by faulty wiring. “They think it was the wiring in the second bathroom. We’ve needed it fixed for a while but our landlord wouldn’t fix it,” he said.
The mother was at her boyfriend’s house at the time of the fire and her son was in Oneonta. “If someone was here, we probably could’ve put it out with a fire extinguisher,” the son said.
In a post on the community Small Town Facebook page, Fire Chief Gary Larson posted a thanks to responders, “each and every person — guys, gals and all of you that were on scene and behind the scenes helping. This is a proof, that as a team we can all work together.”
The post said fire companies responded from Gilbertsville, West Laurens, West Oneonta, Laurens, Mount vision, Garrettsville and Pittsfield.
We lived here years ago. The landlord blaimed everything on us, always, and he hates women. We litteraly had big problems in the place that he ignored. This is why we moved, even though he told people we were evicted. As we were packing he begged us to stay. Ask him about the foundation under the big house.