Cooperstown Locals

Cooperstown LOCALS
Jan 30 – Feb 1, 2019

Milford Gym Filled With Polar Jump Fans As Annual Auction Raises Funds For Plunge

Ava Brockert, 2, and her mother Kali, Milford, look for prizes to be won at the annual Goodyear Lake Polar Bear Jump’s Chinese auction on Sunday, Jan. 27 at Milford Central School.  Below, Polar Bear Jump organizer Jamie Waters mans the ticket booth alongside Devin Kiser, Milford. All the money raised from the auction will go to help this year’s Polar Bear Jump recipients.



COOPERSTOWN – Kenneth Kellerman, a 90-year-old resident of Cooperstown Center, has found his calling.
Calling Bingo. A Cooperstown native, Kellerman has been at Cooperstown Center for over a year, but hadn’t been participating in many activities. Rose sat down with him to look over offerings he might be interested in, and when she told him about Bingo, he requested to call, as he had done at another facility.  When she said he could, he agreed to start attending Bingo, and has attended games weekly to call.



Jim Kevlin/HOMETOWN ONEONTA – Jeff Wanke of Oneonta, a popular and helpful manager at Cooperstown’s Price Chopper, is back on the job Wednesday, Jan. 23 receiving congratulations from well wishers after a medical leave.


Security-Guard’s Death Prompts Bassett To Give Away CO Detectors

COOPERSTOWN – Having lost one of their own – Wade Bostwick, a Milford resident and well-liked security guard who died Saturday, Nov. 24, a victim of carbon-monoxide poison – the Bassett Hospital community is taking steps to prevent it from happening again.
Working with Kidde, the fire-safety products manufacturer, the healthcare network has arranged to provide carbon-monoxide detectors free to anyone who might need one, Executive Vice President & COO Ronette Wiley announced.
Department heads will be coordinating distribution in the next few weeks.
Since Bostwick’s passing, “We have had a number of patients who have required treatment for this,” said Wiley in a message to employees. “With our bitter cold and snow, this is the time of the year where there is an increased danger.”
She pointed out carbon monoxide “is an odorless and colorless gas that can build up indoors and poison people and animals who unknowingly breathe it in. This gas comes from fumes produced when fuel is burned in lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, and furnaces.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Prove you're not a robot: *