COOPERSTOWN – The one-month old Community Foundation for Otsego County has raised $175,000 in donations in its first four weeks of operation from 230 individuals so far.
In the last 10 days, the foundation’s COVID-19 Fund has also made five awards, and now has a total of 17 in review or completed. Completed awards include:
• HELIOS CARE – $5,000 to buy PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) for staff to visit patient homes.
• CATHOLIC CHARITIES of Delaware, Otsego & Schoharie Counties -$5,000 to buy PPE and supplies for child-care providers in private homes.
• BASSETT MEDICAL CENTER – $7,500 to distribute gift cards for gas and food to employees who have been furloughed or had hours reduced due to clearing the facility for COVID-related use.
• FOX HOSPITAL – $3,000 for the same purposes as Bassett.
• COOPERSTOWN FOOD PANTRY – $3,000 to buy farmers’ market vouchers to give to families that use food pantries.
In another instance of community support, Alex’s World Bistro dedicated “Well Spent Wednesday” on April 29 to the fund, donated 15 percent the day’s receipts. The Bistro will reprise this in the near future.
In addition, the town boards of Worcester, Cherry Valley and Otsego have passed resolutions supporting the fund, as has the Cooperstown Village Board and Oneonta Common Council.
U.S. Rep. Antonio Delgado, D-19, state Sen. Jim Seward, R-Milford, and Assembly John Salka, R-Brookfield, have also announced support for the fund.
Qualified nonprofit organizations may obtain applications from the foundation website, www.cfotsego.org; donations are also accepted online at the website.
For news updates, check Facebook.com/CFOtsego. Contact the foundation at email@example.com.
Contributions are still being sought from individuals, companies, other local foundations and organizations. Online gifts have the most immediate impact and can be accepted at www.cfotsego.org.
Donations can also be sent to the Community Foundation of Otsego County, P.O. Box 55, Springfield Center, NY 13468.