ONEONTA – Wilber Bank, the last of the Dietz Street murals depicting the five historic occupants of the Oneonta History Center, 183 Main St., will be unveiled at 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 3.
Wilber Bank’s first location in Oneonta was in the southwest corner of the first floor of Walter Brown’s hardware store in the building now owned by the Greater Oneonta Historical Society. After a fire in David Wilber’s bank in Milford, his friend Walter Brown offered space in his business.
The bank operated there from 1873 to 1876 before moving across Dietz Street to a larger space in the Central Hotel. The bank eventually moved further east, eventually expanding to the corner of Ford Avenue and Main Street. Wilber Bank was acquired by Community Bank in 2010.
The five murals were painted by artist Carol Mandigo. The murals and associated bronze plaques were funded by private donations and public funds administered by the Chenango Arts Council through NYSCA, the state Council on the Arts (NYSCA).
A reception, with refreshments, will be held in the History Center after the unveiling. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact (607) 432-0960 or info@OneontaHistory.org.