Advertisement. Advertise with us


Leads Poured In,

Leading To Arrest

Of Oneonta Man, 34

Police, Fire Chiefs Detail What’s Known

Fire Chief Pat Pidgeon, left, and Police Chief Doug Brenner detail what they know at a 5 p.m. press conference in Oneonta City Hall. For a video of the press conference, click here.

By LIBBY CUDMORE • Special to

Terrence Truitt

ONEONTA – Within hours of Saturday morning’s fire that claimed the life of former Oneonta firefighter John D. Heller, the leads began to pour in.

“We had more than 70 leads,” said Police Chief Doug Brenner an hour ago at a press conference held jointly with Fire Chief Pat Pidgeon. “And the investigation is continuing.”

The men reported Terrence Truitt, 34, Oneonta, was arrested and charged with first-degree arson, which investigators believe started on the second floor of 5 Walling Ave.

Heller and his fiancee, Amber Roe, lived on the top floor, and had their four nephews staying with them that night. Heller and Roe helped the children escape, but then was unable to get out of the building.



“John D. Heller lost his life rescuing others,” said Brenner. “We launched an immediate investigation into the fire, and on Sunday, the state Department of Fire Prevention and Control said that all accidental causes for the start of the fire had been eliminated.

“And it became a criminal felony investigation.”

Truitt was arraigned in the City of Oneonta court before being remanded to the Otsego County Jail. District Attorney John Muehl may make recommendations for additional charges.

According to Brenner, Truitt had a criminal record, but no prior arrests for arson.

Heller’s family, including his fiancee, Amber Roe, was in the audience during the press conference. Also present was Erika Heller, his sister-in-law and the mother of the four nephews Heller and Roe rescued.

“John saved people’s lives every day,” Roe said. “We were at an event one time and I heard a man gasp, and when I looked over, he was already helping him to the ground and taking his pulse.  Another time, he helped rescue a woman whose leg was trapped by her car in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot.”

An on-call and part-time firefighter for the city from 2002-09, Heller worked as a  Life Skills supervisor at Oneonta Job Corps Academy. “We’re devastated,” said Job Corps director Chris Kuhn, who attended the press conference. “He was a good man, a hero every day and part of a tight-knit community.”

He said that grief counseling has been made available to Job Corps students.

“Every single person in the city is very proud of him,” said Mayor Gary Herzig. “He represents all of us at our best.”


1 Comment

  1. That woman in the dunkin donuts parking lot was my mother. Amber, you and John were already heroes in my book. Without the two of you, I wouldn’t have my mom here today!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Sports Can Resume, Superintendents Told

CLICK HERE FOR MEMO TO SCHOOLS Sports Can Resume, Superintendents Told COOPERSTOWN – In a memo released Friday evening, county Public Health Director Heidi Bond advised local school superintendents that sports can resume as early as Monday. “Effective Feb. 1, participants in higher-risk sports may participate in individual or distanced group training and organized no/low-contact group training,” Bond wrote, “…including competitions and tournaments, if permitted by local health authorities.”…

SCOLINOS: It’s All We Need To Know: Home Plate 17 Inches Wide

COLUMN VIEW FROM THE GAME It’s All We Need To Know: Home Plate 17 Inches Wide Editor’s Note:  Tim Mead, incoming Baseball Hall of Fame president, cited John Scolinos, baseball coach at his alma mater, Cal Poly Pomona, as a lifelong inspiration, particularly Scolinos’ famous speech “17 Inches.” Chris Sperry, who published, heard Scolinos deliver a version in 1996 at the American Baseball Coaches Association in Nashville, and wrote this reminiscence in 1916 in his “Baseball Thoughts” column. By CHRIS SPERRY • from In 1996, Coach Scolinos was 78 years old and five years retired from a college coaching…

Killer Ricky Knapp Dies In Prison

Killer Knapp Dies In Prison; Guilty In SUNY Coed’s Death ONEONTA – Ricky Knapp, the man convicted of the 1977 death of SUNY Oneonta student, has died in Mohawk Correctional Facility, according to prison records. Knapp, 66, died March 8, having served 40 years of a 25-to-life sentence for a 1978 manslaughter conviction in the death of 18-year-old Linda Velzy, a SUNY student from Long Island. According to reports, Velzy was last seen Dec. 9 1977, hitchhiking in downtown Oneonta.…