3 Partners Open Sanctuary In Former Leesville Church

3 Partners Open Sanctuary

In Former Leesville Church

Nettie Jean Scarzafava of Oneonta, the former Otsego County judge, greets 75 wellwishers at this afternoon’s dedication of the Light of Heart Sanctuary in the former St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church in Leesville, just west of Sharon Springs. Scarzafava partnered with two Sharon Springs businesswomen, Cheryl Rosen and Paula Petri, in a public space that, to a degree, will be defined by demand: Today’s attendees were canvassed on whether they would be interested in variety of activities there, from low-impact exercise and dance, to jewelry making and swing dance. Sharon Town Supervisor Sandra Manko, a member of the local historical society, spoke on the church’s history, which dates back to 1745, when the first service was held. The current church building was built for $4,000 and dedicated in 1853.  The fresco above the altar was painted by Mary Fines, Cooperstown.  (Jim Kevlin/AllOTSEGO.com)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.