200 YEARS AGO
Advertisement in the Otsego Herald: The undersigned intends, about the First of September next, to commence the publication of a paper in this village, under the above title. It will be printed upon an entire new type, and in size correspond with any interior paper in the State. J.H. Prentiss, Cooperstown, August 23, 1819. (Ed. Note: Thus was announced in the Otsego Herald, the beginning of this newspaper 200 years ago and still known as the “Freeman’s Journal.”
August 23, 1819
175 YEARS AGO
Political Poetry – “Freemen! Cheer the Hickory Tree. In storms its boughs have sheltered thee. O’er Freedom’s soil its branches wave; T’was planted on the Lion’s grave.”
We learn from those who were present on the occasion that the Democratic gathering at Oneonta on Saturday, August 17, numbered from 4,000 to 6,000 persons, and was animated with enthusiasm in support of the nominees of the Democratic Convention and the Doctrine of Popular Rights and Privileges. It was a strong demonstration of public feeling on the political questions at issue before the country
August 26, 1844
150 YEARS AGO
The Report of the seventy-fourth Anniversary of the Otsego Baptist Association gives the following statistics: Churches comprising the Association, 19; Ministers ordained, 14; Licentiate, 1; Additions during past year, 79; Losses, 96; Present number of church members, 1,325. In 1864, with 18 churches, the membership was 1,523. In 1852 with 17 churches the membership was 1,382. There is shown to be a considerable falling off in the aggregate number, notwithstanding fair additions to many of the churches. They lose largely by emigration to the cities and to the west. There needs to be a lifting up out of old ruts, worn deep many years ago. If our Baptist friends will permit, we will point out a weakening element in these Associations. It is the presence of Agents from all leading Societies of the Denomination for the purpose of preaching “begging sermons” to the most liberal members of the churches – taking up nearly all the time in “presenting the cause” which they are paid to advocate, and taking up collections or soliciting subscriptions. The time is so much taken up by Society Agents, not enough attention is paid to the weak and destitute churches. Of about $2,767 reported by the Treasurer as received during the past year, only $80 was for “destitute churches.” A decided reform in these particulars is needed.
August 20, 1869
125 YEARS AGO
The “Players” – The second of what we may hope will become a series of annual entertainments was given by the “Players” last Thursday evening in Village Hall. Two pieces were presented. The first was a translation from the French entitled “Comedy and Tragedy.” The characters in this were taken by Misses Marion and France Gregory, Dr. Sill and Mr. R.S. Hooker. Something of the life of an actress at home was shown, and her conflicting feelings toward a young admirer whom, at his father’s request, she tries to get rid of, and ends by falling in love with, were credibly delineated. The second piece was the farce “”Poor Pillicoddy.” The characters were played by Mrs. Emily and Alice Gregory, Miss Bessie Patterson, Mr. Wolcott and Mr. S. Patterson. The various comical incidents of the play were cleverly set forth, and continually amused the audience. After the performance light refreshments were served, and an informal dance followed. Many invitations had been issued and about 300 people were present.
August 23, 1894
100 YEARS AGO
Baseball – A team composed of Coopers-town business men and diamond old-timers defeated a team of employees of the Arthur H. Crist Co. Thursday evening by a score of 14 to 1. Champlin and Ames were the battery for the businessmen. Entrances to the ball park are through Dr. Dewar’s Lane on Susquehanna Avenue and from Elm Street opposite the Baptist Church and between the Crist Co. and the First National Bank. Milford and Delhi are playing a game of baseball on Doubleday Park, this village, this Wednesday.
August 27, 1919
75 YEARS AGO
Under perfect weather conditions Sunday afternoon, a throng of 2,000 attended the third in the series of five Victory Sings on the lawn of the Otesaga Hotel overlooking Otsego Lake, participated in the chorus singing under the leadership of Dr. Elmer A. Tidmarsh of Schenectady, and were presented with a thoughtful review of the war and stirring picture of the situation as it appears today by Paul Schubert the well-known American author and radio commentator. It was the largest attendance yet this summer by several hundred.
August 23, 1944
50 YEARS AGO
The second annual stamp show sponsored by the Leatherstocking Stamp Club will be held at the Community House, 63 Pioneer Street, Cooperstown, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday of this week. According to Mrs. Mary Pangborn, secretary-treasurer of the club, and coordinator of the stamp show, this year’s event promises to be a marked improvement over the show held last year, in time open to the public, variety of exhibits on display, and coverage of Philatelic material. To date, nearly 100 frames of stamps have been registered. A movie “Postman of the Skies” at 2 p.m. will show how mail is delivered by helicopter in the City of Chicago.
August 20, 1969
25 YEARS AGO
More than 120 teams, made up of 500 ironmen and women, participated in the rain-soaked and shortened 12th Annual Glimmerglass Triathlon Sunday at Glimmerglass State Park. Several hundred spectators dared the driving rain to watch the three event race, which was originally scheduled to include a 6.4 mile run, a 27-mile bicycle race and five mile canoe race. However, 2 to 3 foot swells on Otsego Lake along with reports of thunderstorms in the area, forced race officials to cancel the canoeing. The final results were tabulated from the standings of teams and individuals after the bicycle race. The fastest overall time was posted by the team of Steve Simpson, Jim Benkos, Gary Place and Mark Micotello who covered the course in 1:35:17. Jim Mattingly posted the fastest individual time finishing in 1:53:18. Among women, Joan Butler and Shelly Kempton took team honors (2:00:13) and Kelly O’Brien was the lone Iron Woman (2:32:04).
August 24, 1994