Early-Morning Fire Destroys New Berlin Home


Father, 3 Children

Flee Pittsfield Home

In Early-Morning Fire

By LIBBY CUDMORE • Special to www.AllOTSEGO.com

Richard Miller was able to get his three children out of their house at 1487 County Highway 13 in the Town of Pittsfield when they heard smoke alarms go off.

PITTSFIELD – A widower and his three children were left homeless after a blaze destroyed their New Berlin home overnight.

According to Pittsfield Fire Chief Dale Ives, Richard Miller called Otsego County 911 at 1:30 a.m. to report that his home at 1485 County Highway 13 was on fire. “The smoke detectors woke them up,” said Ives. “When we arrived on scene, he told us everyone was out of the house.”

Miller, a widower, lived in the house with his three children, Brandon, 13, Hunter, 10, and Izabella, 7. His wife, Sharron, died in February after a two-year battle with cancer.

The fire was fully involved when crews arrived, with mutual aid from New Berlin, Morris and South New Berlin. The structure was a total loss, and crews left the scene at 6:30 a.m.

Ives said the fire is believed to have been caused by a pellet stove in the back of the house.

Shannon Delong, Miller’s sister-in-law, posted a request on Celebrate Cooperstown’s Facebook page, asking for donations for the family. Items needed include men’s clothing – pants, 44/32, 30/32 and 34/30, shoes size 13,11 and 9 – and clothing and shoes for a girl in sizes 14/16 pants, large girls shirts and 5/6 shoes.

The Red Cross is also assisting the family.

One thought on “Early-Morning Fire Destroys New Berlin Home

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Prove you're not a robot: *