The Freeman’s Journal • Hometown Oneonta
May 9-10, 2019
PHOTO OF THE WEEK
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
BOUND VOLUMES: May 10, 2019
HOMETOWN History: May 3, 2019
ISSUU ONLINE EDITIONS
200 YEARS AGO
Advertisement – Notice: The Trustees of School District No. 1, will open a school, in the public school house in this village, on Wednesday, the 21st inst. under the direction of Mr. L. Squires. Terms of Tuition $2 to be applied on the first quarter. N.B. Any one sending in after the school commences, will not have any more to pay than their proportion of time from the time of commencing. Eseck Bradford, Buckingham Fitch, Trustees. Cooperstown, April 17, 1819.
April 19, 1819
175 YEARS AGO
Judge Gridley held his Circuit Court here during the past week. A slander suit was tried, which from the standing of the parties Secor vs. Gilbert, both residents of Middlefield, excited much interest. Mr. Gilbert had lost from the money-drawer of his store in May last $568 in bank notes, and some circumstances had fixed suspicion upon Dr. Emenzo Secor as the aggressor, which led to the remark by Mr. G., pointing towards him in a room “there’s the rascal that stole my money,” or words of similar import. The suit was founded upon this charge, and a plea of justification put in. The words were proved, and the defense entered upon, being confined exclusively to circumstantial evidence, the detail of which would occupy more space than we have to spare. The case was summed up with ability by Mr. J.A. Spencer and Mr. Bowne and committed to the Jury by a luminous charge from Judge Gridley. The Jury were out about five hours, when they returned a verdict of $30 for the plaintiff.
April 15, 1844
150 YEARS AGO
The Seminary as a Hotel. It may be remembered that several weeks since Mr. H.F. Phinney offered to take one-fourth of the stock necessary to reorganize the Seminary as a first-class institution, provided our citizens would take the rest. This offer has met with no response. Believing that the building, which is too large for a school, except of mammoth proportions, is eminently fitted by its location, grounds, prospects, internal arrangements, and convenient distance from the railroad station, for a summer boarding house, Mr. Phinney has decided to offer it for sale or lease for this purpose, holding that the best interests of our village will be consulted by this disposition of the property. (Ed. Note: The structure referred to was built in the mid-1850s to serve as a Seminary for the education of men and women. Cooper Lane Apartments are the current structures on the site.)
April 16, 1869
125 YEARS AGO
A few shad occasionally appear in the Cooperstown markets. They used to make their way up here at the time of the settlement of this village, via the Susquehanna River, on which there were no dams. There is a tree still standing in the village of Unadilla from one of the upper branches of which a shad was brought down by a rifle ball! The shad in question was held captive by a large fish hawk – fact! In 1887, it is stated, 1,568,637 shad were captured in the Hudson River. That was the banner year for shad.
April 19, 1894
100 YEARS AGO
(Excerpt from “Tail Spins” the newspaper of the Officers at the Aviators’ Hospital) “The periodic hike was pulled off last Friday (April 11) when some 65 or 70 pilots, observers, engineers, two sympathizers of the fair sex, and Mac the dog with Rags the little dogette headed out on the excellent state road south to the village of Milford. The vanguard was led by Captain Wharton who has charge of physical training of the Army flyers, and Lieutenant Cartmell, physical director, was in one of the scattered groups. The genial Mr. Smith who is a leading spirit of hikes and outdoor sports, was along to point out things of interest to the boys.”
April 16, 1919
75 YEARS AGO
From an Eighth A.A.F. Bomber Station in England comes the thrilling account of a flying fortress the crew of which missed death by inches when the propeller from one of its engines flew off, but which, though riddled with enemy fire, was able to return to base. One of the members of this crew was John A. Sill, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. Reed Sill of Cooperstown, the tail gunner. The pilot who brought the plane in from an attack on war plants in Berlin, with two of its engines knocked out and its oxygen system damaged, is Lieutenant James L. Abernathy of Roselle, Illinois. The Flying Fort had dropped its bombs when a flak burst clipped its number three engine.
April 19, 1944
25 YEARS AGO
Cooperstonian Stan Hall withdrew his application for a permit to open a brew pub in an old barn at the end of Cooper Lane at a meeting of the village planning board, held Tuesday, April 12. Hall stopped the application after the board informed him that there was insufficient access to the property for the use he had in mind. The withdrawal was apparently welcome news to about 20 area residents in attendance, many of whom had written letters of protest to the board and signed a petition against the project. “I’m glad that it went the way it went,” said Madeline Sansevere, who had organized the petition campaign, which collected 83 signatures. Sansevere added that she was not opposed to the idea of a pub, but rather to the location which raised concerns about traffic and customers at the pub disrupting the residential area.
April 19, 1994
Orzetti At ‘Chesapeake Lobby Day’ In D.C.
COOPERSTOWN – Leslie Orzetti, Executive Director for Otsego County Conservation Association (OCCA) will be part of a delegation to meet with New York Members of Congress in Washington, DC on March 6. The delegation is meeting to discuss the importance of maintaining programs to help protect water quality in the NY portion of the Chesapeake Bay watershed as part of Chesapeake Bay Lobby Day, organized by the Choose Clean Water Coalition.
“This is my first time attending ‘Chesapeake Bay Lobby Day’ with the Choose Clean Water Coalition, and I am proud to represent NY and our headwaters portion of the watershed,” said Orzetti.
Orzetti, the designated New York Outreach Lead for the Choose Clean Water Coalition (CCWC), will be joined by other New York members of the coalition including Emily Dekar (Upper Susquehanna Coalition), Mike Sellitti (Sidney Center Improvement Group), Jim Pfiffer (Friends of the Chemung Watershed), and Ramsay Adams (Catskill Mountain Keeper).
The group is scheduled to meet with Representatives Antonio Delgado (NY-19), Anthony Brindisi (NY-22) and Tom Reed (NY-23), and Senators Charles Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand. Topics to be covered include funding appropriations for the EPA Chesapeake Bay Program, conservation programs included in the Farm Bill, the Clean Water State Revolving Fund, and new rules proposed that decrease protection for waterways under the Clean Water Act.
Cooperstown Farmers’ Market Profiled In ‘Country Folks’ Magazine
COOPERSTOWN – The Cooperstown Farmers’ Market was profiled in the most recent issue of Country Folks Magazine, a weekly regional agricultural industry magazine for the East Coast.
A story by Troy Bishopp highlighted the market’s history, the winter market and profiles market manager Josie Maroney, calling her “a youthful, exuberant, passionate leader.”
“For baseball fans, opera singers, tourists and local residents, the Cooperstown Farmers’ Market hits a home run in the local food field of dreams – even in winter” wrote Bishopp.
The Cooperstown Farmers’ Market was also named to the 2019 Class of the Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce Hall of Fame.
GROFF TALK: National Book Award finalist Lauren Groff will discuss her next novel, which focuses on early American captivity narratives, at Harvard University, on Wed., Mar. 13. Groff, the author of “Florida” and “Fates & Furies,” is the 2018–2019 Suzanne Young Murray Fellow at the Radcliffe Institute.
THIS WEEK’S NEWSPAPERS
The Freeman’s Journal • Hometown Oneonta
Feb. 6-7, 2019
PHOTO OF THE WEEK
LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Cooperstown And Around: Village: Vote Firemen Into Chamber Hall
EXCLUSIVE! Hometown Oneonta’s 10th Celebrated Family Council Rips Focus Executives County Studies Tompkins’ Energy Plan Dump Trucks Protect Tag-Sale Crowd Get Preview On Farmers’ Museum Fest
A new weekly publication, “Summer Dreams,” aimed at highlighting Greater Cooperstown and Oneonta’s summer offerings, will appear in this week’s editions of Hometown Oneonta and The Freeman’s Journal.
In addition to reaching 13,000 households in our regular weekly distribution, an additional 2,000 copies are being printed and made available to tourists and youth-baseball-park participants. The 13,000 distribution is already the largest print footprint in the county, and this will be enhanced to 15,000, according to Editor/Publisher Jim Kevlin.
Beginning today, the new publication will also be posted on www.allotsego.com, where it will be accessible to 40,000 weekly visitors, and promoted on the allotsego Facebook page, where more than 20,000 visitors participate weekly.
“Information about happenings in Otsego County will be useful, of course, to all of us looking to have some fun. But ‘Summer Dreams’ is also a powerful vehicle for advertisers looking to connect with customers and potential new customers,” Kevlin said.