Compiled by Tom Heitz/SHARON STUART, with resources
courtesy of The Fenimore Art Museum Research Library
210 YEARS AGO
Among items of mail remaining at the Post-Office in the Village of Otsego (Cooperstown) are letters addressed to: Samuel Anderson, Nehemiah Burch, Benjamin Bissell, Isaac Childs, Cornelius L. Cary, William Dean, Sumner Ely, Revilo Ford, Micah French, William Griffin, John Jackson, James Johnston, Jonathan Kingsley, William Lindsley, Darius Moon, Patty Miller, Chauncey Newell, Freedom Potter, Sally Potter, James L. Palmer, John Robinson, Eliphaz Spencer, Stephen Skiff, Isaac Stone, Sally Thatcher, Nathaniel Todd, William Van Brunt, Cornelius W. Van Denburgh, Levi Warner, Sylvanus West and Patty Ward. (Ed. Note: Recipients of mail were liable for postage prior to delivery)
July 6, 1811
185 YEARS AGO
The deposit bill has been approved by the President.
The most important feature in the Act is that it makes the several states the depositories of all the public moneys which may be in the treasury on the first of January next over the sum of five millions of dollars, on their passing laws, pledging the faith of the states respectively to pay the warrants of the treasury in the manner prescribed. By an amendment introduced by an overwhelming majority of the house of representatives, all the features of the bill which went to make the proposed transfer of the money to the states a loan or gift, were struck out, and as the act now stands, they are to be mere depositories, like the banks in which the public moneys are now kept.
July 11, 1836
160 YEARS AGO
Fourth of July Pic-Nic at Dutcher’s Grove (near Springfield Center) – At half-past 10 o’clock the Sunday School scholars with their teachers formed in procession, reaching nearly one-half mile in length preceded by the Springfield Centre Band. Each school, six in all, had a neat banner, each bearing some appropriate motto. They then marched to the Grove, where there was a stage erected for the speakers. Addresses were then delivered to the young and old by Mr. Andrews and different clergymen, interspersed by National airs by the Band, and vocal music. At noon, there were about 800 people in the grove.
The Declaration of Independence was read by Mr. Young. The day was a day of pleasure and recreation for the young folks of Springfield and their visitors.
July 12, 1861
135 YEARS AGO
A newspaper can drop the same thought into a thousand minds at the same moment. A newspaper is an adviser, who does not require to be sought, but comes to you briefly every week of common weal, without distracting your private affairs. Newspapers, therefore, become more necessary in proportion as men become more equal individuals, and more to be feared. To suppose that they only serve to protect freedom would be to diminish their importance; they maintain civilization. More than all this – newspapers are today great educators. Nearly every intelligent child reads them. But all newspapers are not alike, nor are their teachings the same. Some educate in the wrong direction – exclude such from your family circle.
July 10, 1886
110 YEARS AGO
J. Arthur Olson, a local mechanic, is now constructing an aeroplane at the Fair Grounds. The machine is a bi-plane of the Farman type, an exact reproduction of the machine in which Paulhan made an altitude record at Los Angeles, California.
Mr. Olson has not assembled the machine, but the parts now constructed are the same as the Farman bi-plane. The machine has a spread of 34 feet, with a depth of 38 feet from tip to tail. The front wings are six feet, 10 inches deep. The propeller is an exact reproduction of the one used by Paulhan, which is now in Mr. Olson’s possession, and is eight feet in length, with
a pitch of three and a half feet.
The owner expects to make 45 miles per hour under favorable conditions. The motor will be either a 50-horse power Maximotor, or a 15-horse power Roberts motor.
July 12, 1911
85 YEARS AGO
This Wednesday afternoon the shrill voices of the ubiquitous newsboys will be heard upon the streets crying the first issue of the Glimmerglass for the season. This little afternoon daily newspaper, as usual, will be published for fifty issues consecutively, except Sundays. It covers the resort and community thoroughly and in addition contains a daily summary of world events, the closing quotations of the stock market, editorial comment of a non-partisan nature, a comic strip for the children, and many other features. It is a remarkably effective advertising medium.
The paper sells on the streets for two cents per copy, and season subscriptions are received at the office for one dollar.
July 8, 1936
60 YEARS AGO
A special tablet will be placed at Doubleday Field honoring Thomas A. Yawkey, owner of the Boston Red Sox, for his generous donation of seats that have been erected along the first base section of the stadium. This distinctive marker will be located at the first base entrance to Doubleday Field. The tablet will read: “The first base stands were a gift from Thomas A. Yawkey owner Boston Red Sox 1960.” Mr. Yawkey’s gift was made on the spur of the moment, so to speak. Several years ago, Paul S. Kerr, vice-president of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, told a group of baseball executives that the old stands would not pass another inspection by a building commissioner. Yawkey wasn’t part of the group, but he overheard Kerr’s remark and immediately offered Kerr a complete section of seats then in storage at Fenway Park. The seats were then donated.
July 12, 1961
35 YEARS AGO
Nestled on the side hill above Five Mile Point on Lake Otsego, passers-by are discovering the exclusive and intimate new development called Glimmerglass Condominiums. Designed and built with extreme sensitivity to its environment, this 32-unit condominium project, offers a unique alternative to conventional lakeside living. The sponsor, Five Mile Point Development Corporation, is composed of local business leaders who maintain a conviction to “doing business at home.” The first unit closing has already taken place.
July 9, 1986