News of Otsego County

Serving Otsego County, NY, through the combined reporting of Cooperstown's Freeman's Journal and the Hometown Oneonta newspapers.
Click for classifieds of Oneonta, Cooperstown, and all of Otsego County. Click for jobs in Oneonta, Cooperstown, and all of Otsego County. Click for dining, entertainment, and things to do in Oneonta, Cooperstown, and all of Otsego County. Click for real estate listings in Oneonta, Cooperstown, and all of OTsego County. click for cars, trucks, and other vehicles in oneonta, cooperstown, and all of otsego county. click for funeral homes, flower shops, and other businesses that specialize in= remembrance in oneonta, cooperstown, and all of otsego county. Click for more great ads from local businesses in Oneonta, Cooperstown, and all of Otsego County.

Fire

Arrests Made in Connection to Train Fire

Arrests Made In Railcar Fire

Russell Jones, a member of Milford’s Volunteer Fire Department, douses flames from a train car fire in Milford on Oct. 3. (Parker Fish/AllOTSEGO.com)

MILFORD – Two juveniles have been arrested and charged with setting fire to an antique box car at the Milford Train Depot in early October.

Sheriff Richard Devlin Jr. announced the arrests after a two month long investigation, and said that more arrests are expected in the coming days. Devlin stated that both suspects are local residents.

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Arrest Made In Milford Church Fire

Teen Arrested In

Milford Church Fire

The inside of the Milford United Methodist Church following the fire. (Ian Austin/AllOtsego.com)

MILFORD – A Middlefield teen was arrested and charged with setting the fire that destroyed the Milford United Methodist Church in March.

According to District Attorney John Muehl, state police arrested a young man on Saturday, July 8, for allegedly setting fires to several storage units in that town. During the investigation, police allegedly discovered evidence linking him to the church fire, and he was arrested.

Muehl said the suspect’s name and charges would be forthcoming from state police.

The fire was originally believed to have been an accident due to faulty electrical wiring.

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Fire Damages Cooperstown Bat Company Storage Facility

Cooperstown Bat

Building On Fire

HARTWICK – The former sawmill at the end of Poplar Street in the Hamlet of Hartwick was the site of a fire this evening.

The sawmill had been vacant for several years before Tim and Connie Haney, owners of the Cooperstown Bat Company, refurbished it as a place to store their billets, blank bats that are in need of finishing. The restoration of the building was only completed two weeks ago.

As of 8:30 p.m., the roof had collapsed, and smoke was still pouring from the building.  Crews are still on the scene.

This is a developing story

Please check back for details

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
COOPERSTOWN BAT COMPANY ON FIRE

COOPERSTOWN BAT

 BUILDING ON FIRE

HARTWICK – At this hour, the Cooperstown Bat Company is reportedly on fire, according to the Otsego County Fire Wire.

Mutual Aid is being provided by  Mount Vision Fire, Milford Fire/EMS, Hartwick Seminary Fire, Cooperstown Fire, County Coordinators, Fly Creek Fire, Laurens Fire, Edmeston Fire.

This is a developing story,

Please check back for details

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Fire Chief: Christopher’s Fire Started In Dining Room

Fire Chief: Christopher’s Blaze

Started In Front Dining Room

Oneonta Assistant Fire Chief Jim Maloney, front, confers with fire investigators, while Don Tubia, left, helps sift through the rubble of the front right corner, where the early-morning fire that destroyed Christopher’s Restaurant is believed to have started. (Ian Austin/AllOTSEGO.com)

By LIBBY CUDMORE • Special to www.AllOTSEGO.com

ONEONTA – The overnight fire that destroyed Christopher’s Restaurant on Southside started in the front right corner of the building, a dining area, according to Oneonta Fire Chief Patrick Pigeon.

A passerby called the fire in at 2:20 a.m. and crews arrived less than five minutes later to find the fire fully involved. “We started an aggressive attack through the front doors, but after 10 minutes, we realized it wasn’t going to work,” said Pigeon. “The fire was already up in the roof system.”

According to Pigeon, they spent another 20 minutes inside trying to battle the blaze, but with so many rooms, the fire was impossible to contain. “We would douse one room, and the fire would just be pushed to the next,” he said.

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Fire Destroys Christopher’s Restaurant

FIRE DESTROYS

CHRISTOPHER’S

Oneonta Landmark Burns Overnight

The fire that broke out overnight completely destroyed Christopher’s Restaurant on Southside.  The landmark was unique locally:  It was built and decorated as an Adirondack lodge, evident in the trophies (foreground) that decorated the walls. The cause remains under investigation (Ian Austin/AllOTSEGO.com)

By LIBBY CUDMORE • Special to www.AllOTSEGO.com

ONEONTA – The Oneonta Fire Department is still on the scene after an early morning blaze destroyed landmark Christopher’s Restaurant on Southside.

The call came into the city fire department at 2:20 a.m. and professional firefighters arrived on the scene to find the restaurant fully engulfed.  “It no longer exists,” said fireman Al Sayers Lutz. “It’s been completely destroyed.”

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Fire At Munson’s Building Supply

Fire At Munson’s

Building Supply

Steve Munson and Richard Jubar have already begun fixing the corner of Munson’s Building Supply that was damaged in a minor electrical fire this morning. (Ian Austin/AllOTSEGO.com)

ONEONTA – A small electrical fire broke out a Munson’s Building Supply this morning, causing minor damage to a storage area in the front of the store.

Around 8:30 a.m., co-owner Steve Munson and his employees heard a loud “bang” before the power went out. A fire was quickly discovered in front west corner of the store. Though only a small area was damaged by the fire, the Oneonta Fire Department saturated and tore out a larger area to keep the fire from spreading. The main sales floor was not damaged.

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Cooperstown Fire Rousts Family From Their Beds

Cooperstown Fire Rousts

Family From Their Beds

A fire broke out in kitchen of the former Phinney 1808 House B&B on Elm Street, Cooperstown, at 7:30 a.m today, rousing the Vrooman family from their beds.  According to neighbors, Jim Vrooman and his family quickly removed the cars from their driveway as Cooperstown volunteers, who had been at the Milford United Methodist Church fire late into Sunday evening, were back on the job.  At 9, the fire was still burning in the back of the house, it appeared to be under control, and smoke and water damage was evident throughout the building.  At right, firefighters confer on steps to complete their mission.   (AllOTSEGO.com photos)

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Fire At Milford United Methodist Church

CLICK HERE FOR SLIDE SHOW

OF FIRST PHOTOS OF SCENE

BLAZE GUTTING

MILFORD CHURCH

Flames push out from under the front gable of the Milford United Methodist Church, which is on fire at this hour. The fire began in the rear, where the dining hall and church offices are located. (Jim Kevlin/AllOTSEGO.com)

Fire Began In Dining Hall

At Rear, Spreads Throughout

By LIBBY CUDMORE & JIM KEVLIN • Special to www.AllOTSEGO.com

MILFORD – Almost a dozen fire crews at this hour are battling a blaze at the Milford United Methodist Church at 89 Main St. at this hour.

The crews, including Milford, Oneonta, Cooperstown, Mount Vision, Schenevus and several others appeared to have the blaze under control, but it was burning too hot to be extinguished.  It appeared likely the building will be a total loss.

Efforts are concentrating on the belltower at this hour (10 p.m.)

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
One Killed In Cherry Valley House Fire

Man Believed Dead

In Cherry Valley  Fire

A screenshot of this morning’s fatal fire in Cherry Valley, taken by the Time Warner Cable news crew.

CHERRY VALLEY – An elderly man was killed when he couldn’t escape a house fire on Lancaster Street in Cherry Valley early this morning.

The call came into Otsego County 911 at 5 a.m. and crews were dispatched to the house, where the second floor was fully engulfed.

According to Cherry Valley Fire Chief Martin Field, the adult granddaughter escaped the fire and said that she believed her grandfather was on the second floor and unable to escape. Officials are currently attempting to recover and identify him.

SHARE: News of Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Otsego County, NY.Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedIn
Posts navigation

21 Railroad Ave. Cooperstown, New York 13326 • (607) 547-6103